CANADA’S OWN WONDER OF THE WORLD
The Niagara Falls are voluminous waterfalls on the Niagara River, straddling the international border between the Canadian province of Ontario and the U.S. state of New York. The falls are 17 miles (27 km) north-northwest of Buffalo, New York and 75 miles (120 km) south-southeast of Toronto, Ontario, between the twin cities of Niagara Falls, Ontario, and Niagara Falls, New York.
About this Playlist
Niagara Falls is composed of two major sections separated by Goat Island: Horseshoe Falls, the majority of which lies on the Canadian side of the border, and American Falls on the American side. The smaller Bridal Veil Falls are also located on the American side, separated from the main falls by Luna Island. The Niagara Falls are renowned both for their beauty and as a valuable source of hydroelectric power. Managing the balance between recreational, commercial, and industrial uses has been a challenge for the stewards of the falls since the 1800s.
Over the years, quite a few adventurous souls decided to take on the challenge of the Falls. Annie Taylor, a 46 year-old widow, who taught school in Bay City, Michigan. She decided to go over the falls in a barrel, survived the ordeal but when she was rescued from the barrel, she stated, "nobody ought to ever do that again," and many still try.
Hundreds of thrill seekers have attempted stunts at the Falls since Annie's 1901 attempt, some giving their lives for the privilege. So many idiot thrill seekers have attempted these feats that a Daredevil Hall of Fame, located in the town of Niagara Falls, Ontario, has been opened in homage to this brand of people.
In “The Falls”, Michael McMahon’s evocative, slyly subversive tour of his hometown established his poetic, lyrical approach to the essay film, as well as his penchant for exploring Canadian culture from a playfully intellectual perspective. The "Canadian capital of kitsch" has many eccentricities and contradictions beneath its tacky tourist exterior. A member of a family of daredevils recounts the number of people who have perished over the falls, including his own brother. A resident of the notoriously polluted Love Canal tells of the twisted trees lining her street and the birth defects suffered by her daughter. “The Falls” deconstructs frames of reference to explore the connections and disparities between nature and environment, culture and commerce, legend and fact.
Additional Online Resources
Niagara Falls Tourism
Niagara Falls Webcam
Selected Films (1)
- Most Popular
- Check out what your fellow doc lovers are watching.
- Reel Asian
- Showcasing alumni filmmakers from past Reel Asian festivals.
- The Images Festival
- The Images Festival looks at the dynamics of accessibility.
- Doc Challenge
- A timed competition where filmmakers have 5 days to make a short doc.
- Brian Linehan
- Brian Linehan was best known for his celebrity interviews.
- Toronto sounds good. It always has.
- TVO - Makes you think
- NFB films have influenced the works of filmmakers around the world.
- Industry Corner 2009
- Video and audio captures of all public series' and industry sessions at Hot Docs.
- Industry Corner 2010
- Festival Industry Sessions from 2010
- Industry Corner 2011
- Festival Industry Sessions From 2011
- Industry Corner 2012
- Festival Industry Sessions From 2012
- Industry Corner 2013
- Festival Industry Sessions From 2013
- Industry Corner 2014
- Hot Docs Industry Sessions Knowledge Capture
- Industry Resources
- Resources to be used in conjunction with video captured 2013 industry sessions.
- Doc Library films with educational resources for high school.
- Inspirit Foundation
- Docs about pluralism and diversity of beliefs
- Filmmaker Interviews
- Interviews and Q&A's
- Aids/HIV Docs
- THE PLIGHT OF HOMELESSNESS
- Docs on Homelessness
- FOR MUSIC LOVERS
- Docs for Music Lovers
- Films about Canada
- LOVE, THE MANY DOCUMENTED THING.
- Docs About Love
- DEALING WITH DISABILITY
- Docs on Dealing with Disabilities
- GROWING OLD GRACEFULLY
- Docs on Aging
- THE WONDER YEARS?
- Films about Growing Up
- CANADA’S OWN WONDER OF THE WORLD
- Niagara Falls
- DEATH IN ALL ITS FORMS
- Films About Dealing with Death